View Single Post
Old 14 April 2024, 02:39 AM   #17
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

I want to speak as the watchmaker at an AD that is responsible for the estimates on the repairs we do.

Significant changes have occurred in the past 2-3 years on how we, as an authorized service center, must operate. Whenever I start an estimate for a repair, I have to enter the serial number into a database "WSR." This does several things, the first of which would be to instruct me as to whether or not I'm allowed to do any work on it; sometimes a watch is flagged as needing to be sent to Rolex directly. Depending on the age of the watch, service history, etc., WSR will show me various information such as new-sale warranty expiration, service warranty expiration, movement serial number, original bracelet, bezel insert, dial, etc. When the watch leaves my shop post-service, I must ensure that the information on WSR is correct to the watch as I have warrantied it.

I can make some changes, but they must be correct to that watch. Common example: a Rolesor ladies Datejust comes in with a silver dial with diamond hour markers, but WSR lists it as having a champagne-coloured dial with stick marks. When the repair is done, I can change the dial in WSR to the silver dial with stones. That is still an appropriate dial for that model, and it is an available option on the list of dials.

On a 16710, I can't change the bracelet to a 93150 bracelet in WSR. I can change it to a Jubilee, an Oyster, or the Oyster Fliplock with no extension. That's all I'm authorized to do.

It's unfortunate, and I don't particularly care what bracelet, dial, or bezel is on your watch. As far as I'm concerned, it's your watch. But I can't estimate based on my opinions. Hell, the jewelry store that I work for doesn't like it either, but that's the cost of being a partner of Rolex. I understand the frustration. There are often three thoughts that I have when estimating:
1. "This is great, I didn't have to require anything!"
2. "They brought this to us, so clearly they want the service done 'The Rolex Way."'
3. "I hope they decline and take this somewhere else."

I do hope you get your watch serviced the way that you would like, but it might be that an AD or RSC may not have the product you're looking to buy.
Pepperjack is online now   Reply With Quote