View Single Post
Old 16 April 2024, 03:57 PM   #88
Boopie
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
With all due respect to Padi, I have two classic cars with factory original paint etc. and I don’t use tshirts or towels to clean and dry them, as I want to protect the paint and eliminate swirls etc. When you see a classic car with amazing mirror finish paint at a concours show, no one rubbed that down with an old t-shirt.

I wash my classic cars with waterless wash products and microfiber cloths. Joke all you want about not getting a car wet, but as the saying goes, rust never sleeps. I do use a foam cannon and water on my modern car (brand new Mercedes) with special microfiber cloths and mitts as well. My car wash technique has changed for the better since I washed my parents’ cars as a kid in the 1970s, when I did use a wadded up old t-shirt or towel remnant dipped in a bucket of water and dish detergent.

I have microfiber cloths with different thicknesses, naps and weaves for different stages of car care, e.g. cleaning, drying, applying glass cleaner, applying interior or vinyl cleaner, applying tire and rim cleaner, etc. Believe it or not, high end tire rims need special care, as they, too, can get scratched with careless maintenance.

For less exacting tasks, housecleaning, etc. the Costco multipack of microfiber cloths work well. Otherwise, there are a ton of car detailing websites that sell different cloths, even by the single cloth.

I also use only the Rolex cleaning cloth that came from service at the RSC on my watches. Some of the thinner car detailing microfiber cloths would work just as well.
Boopie is offline   Reply With Quote