View Single Post
Old 22 April 2024, 07:24 AM   #27
RollingInTheDeep
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post
Since my previous post was locked, I figured I would add my follow up comments here. Just wanted to thank everyone for chiming in on my previous post with either their thoughts or own experiences at their ADs.

The problem I have with most Rolex ADs is the fact that being a good customer and having passion for the brand is not enough to acquire the hard-to-get pieces. Yes, I get it, demand is sky-high on Rolex and are more accessible with msrp prices. I understand S&D. And yes, some ADs do treat their clients well and that's great for those people. The rest of us do not or get the run around, meanwhile they are selling out the back door to grey dealers which then you see these dealers posting BNIB FS ads.

And yes, if I go to an AP boutique and tell them I want an RO but get offered other pieces to acquire first before getting offered one, then it is what is. But at least I know I have a better chance at acquiring one than a Daytona at an AD. One comment I read was offered a RO within 5 months, so I know it's at least possible. My experience with AP was positive even if I have to wait up to two years because I am assured I will get the watch I want when they only push out 50k watches per year. You can't get that same assurance with Rolex.

Also, you can replace AP with any other brand here. I was only talking about AP because of my recent experience. A lot of brands will take care of you if you become a good customer and support the brand. You don't get that with Rolex or at least that's how I feel at least. I am not trying to bash Rolex watches themselves here, I love the brand and I will continue to have at least my bluesy in my collection.

Thanks for reading
I'm more specific to certain watches versus brands which makes it easy to avoid having to play into the AD games of becoming a "valued customer." The Daytona was my Rolex grail since the Zenith movements sat in cases at ADs when there was no hype. Easy decision now if you want an 116500 - have to go secondary, price is the price. PP grail is the SS travel time. No choice but secondary as it's also discontinued, price is the price.

Would I throw my name in the hat for a GMT, OF, etc.? Absolutely, but in knowing how this all works, wouldn't expect a call and don't care if I get it or not.
RollingInTheDeep is offline   Reply With Quote