View Single Post
Old 23 April 2024, 12:49 AM   #12
charger_vital
"TRF" Member

Watch: LF Sport & Pepsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MILGAUSS88 View Post
At this price point,for a small independent, I think that is pretty standard to not make their on movement.

Gronefeld do not make theirs. AP and VC call on other movement makers occasionally. PP has a long history of using movements from other makers.

The movements were designed by LF and produced exclusively for LF. If everything was made in house I think they would be in the 75 to 125,000 price range, for a time only watch. Based on other watches in the market.
True. I get the in-house argument as a marketing ploy. Seems to be a recurring topic on this forum. But nobody cared 10 years ago until companies like Rolex started going "in-house" and marketing their own movements as somehow better. Certainly ETA movements are commoditized, for example, so its a fair enough argument there. But ultimately if the movements are designed well, run well, and have an interesting architecture, why do I care if it's built fully in-house or just designed and finished in-house?

Folks making the argument that a watch brand's "in-house" manufactured movements are superior to fabrique du temps movements simply because the brand is manufacturing movements "in-house" is a bit naive.

Isn't the real art in designing the movement architecture and then the finishing you put on it? Any equipped machine can cut some pieces of metal (just like most folks can swing a hammer). So why do you care where that machine is physically located?
charger_vital is offline   Reply With Quote