View Single Post
Old 8 May 2024, 11:09 PM   #19
codecow
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5131R
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnston713 View Post
I am in a similar boat here. At 36 I would like to start building some purchase history with my AD to have some long term Patek goals. Am I basically knowing that any of my first couple pieces that would be obtainable I am just losing money on as they can be had for less on the grey market? Like the base Calatrava is 10-15k less than MSRP on grey
Of course you’re losing money on them, but if you’re building a collection because you collect watches then you have the watches.

There’s no point building an AD relationship unless you want the stuff you’re buying along the way.

If you don’t, and you’re really after one or two hype pieces it will be much faster and more cost effective to buy them on the secondary market.

As an example, I built up a history and received application pieces from Patek only to have the AD status pulled by Patek. I still have the watches because I wanted the watches but I’m back to zero in terms of new Patek.

So since I already have a 5116, 5146, 5960 and pieces like that, I don’t need them again. So there’s no reason for me to get back on the AD train unless I want to pay new prices for a PCC which I wouldn’t have done anyway.

For a brand my AD doesn’t sell I just go secondary or gray if there are BNIB floating around.
codecow is offline   Reply With Quote