View Single Post
Old 6 November 2009, 04:53 PM   #46
johnswatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaifAlSuwaidi View Post
John, maybe it was a busted up display peiece ? Display peices can end up being loose and not in perfect condition.

As Dan said, kinda seems like you're justifying the cheaper watch ( not less nice but cheaper ).
Glad you are happy with your 112.
It's quite possible that it was a return.

Justifying the purchase of the cheaper watch? I don't need to justify it. I can afford the 312 and had they had one in without any blemishes I would have pulled the trigger. I've obviously misjudged the tone of my messages as there seems to be a bit of hostility here.

I'm playing devil's advocate as I think there's a general consensus that in-house must be better without any objective evidence.

Why isn't the 312 COSC? Why is there NO detailed technical information available on the movment. How is it different to a regular ETA auto? Does it use a unique innovative gear train that extends service intervals? Has it been designed for ease of service? Does it use 'standard' gears that would be available should Panerai go out of business?

I'm happy to pay extra for exclusivity alone but it seems it's others who are using the new calibre to justify spending all that extra cash without any appreciation of why the movement warrants that extra cash.

Why can't we all just admit it. We're not in it for the technical excellence or we'd all be wearing Seiko Spring Drives....it's a luxury good and that's all about status and exclusivity.

One point though - the Unitas movement in my 112 was a pocket watch movement developed in the 1950s. Who in the 50's was still wearing pocket watches?