View Single Post
Old 23 December 2006, 08:09 AM   #16
sheldonsmith
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Good to see you are doing some miles on the bike. In the cold weather I really think the hands and especially the feet are the 2 most important areas to keep warm. Overshoes in the cold is a must.
Looks like you have a Cinelli light, I haven't seen that before. I think I would go nuts looking at my speedo sideways on the stem. Do you find your SD comfortable on the bike. I have found that if I wear my Sub while riding the crown and crown guards seem to dig into the back of my hand, because of the angle of my wrist when holding the top of the bars.
The Polar looks like a good model, I see that they now make dedicated bike computers/HRM's that look very smart. Then I saw a Gamin Edge 350 with a built in GPS, man that looked cool too. There is so much stuff to buy for bikes it never ends. I think I've politely suggested before that I prefer Campagnolo to ShimaNO
Anyway, nothing wrong with Shimano. My biggest problem is doing the miles (kilometers), but I hope to get in some riding over the Christmas season.

Yep, use neoprene overshoes and headband. I kind of got stuck with Shimano as I have been using Campy since 1979 when the only Shimano people saw were on fishing reels and department store bikes. I purchased an E5 from Specialized and they did not have Campy bikes at the time. The bike pictured is almost 5 years old, Shimano 9. I do have another E5 that is two years old with Shimano 10 (pictured below). I have been using Specialized since 1981 as I had bike number 13 when they first came out...

The light is a NiteRider Digital Evolution (www.niterider.com). Great light as oncoming cars lower their high-beams when they see it. I use the Polar to track and save altitude, temperature, distance, speed which is then transferred to my computer. I have use the Polar for almost three years; it died four weeks ago and Polar replaced everything under warranty. Buddy of mine has a Garmin that tracks his rides which he plays back on his computer using National Geographic topo maps.... Kinda cool.

During the summer months, I see myself switching to a NATO band like the one above on the No-Date Sub I had (traded it in for the SD). So far, no crown digging into the wrist with the SD, but I do see my wrist getting the black mess that comes with sweating on a stainless steel band.

If I had thought of it at the time, I should have taken a similar pict when I rode the Paris-Roubaix and Flanders courses a few years back.. Hey, an excuse to plan another "classics" trip.

Keep Ridin'

-Sheldon