Thread: AP Dress Watch
View Single Post
Old 28 September 2005, 04:11 AM   #9
G Shearing

Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Thanks for the info Gary. I thought that they were asking too much as well. I love that Piaget, by the way - not a brand I'm normally attracted to, but that dial is wonderful.........
Well typical of ebay you take your chances and this one had a broken mainspring. I have an excellent watchmaker in Vancouver and he had the 9 Piaget movement spring so I had a O/H at same time. Spring was about $80.00 CDN.
On reflection $7000.00 CDN is way way out of line for that watch. Even a PP wouldn't fetch that for a simple dress watch.
I would check ebay as that is where you will get the going price for these. My experience though is that the older dressier quality watches are the current underdogs and will have their day especially the gold bracelet ones. They are way under valued. Vacheron Constantin use the Piguet movement as does PP, so they would be of commensurate value.
Do you have Cooksey Shugart complete price guide?
Just checked some similar to your description and all are in $1000.00 to $2000.00 range with many in low teens.
Honestly, I think he's asking 3 times the price. Frequently jewelers and pawn shops are just awful for prices on preowned.
Except for two instances where I bought a beautiful navitimer for $1200 US and sold it for $2000.00 and the best watch deal I ever made from the same guy was a Moonwatch from 1965. He wanted $1200.00 for what he thought was a regular Speedmaster. I researched through Maddox on TZ. got the numbers and discovered it was a rare model that commanded $2600.00. It had the raised Omega icon and no guards and had the older hands and was in great shape. Bought at $1200.00. Sold at $2600.00 to a gent in Rome. Best deal I have made.
I thought if I am going to be a crazy WIS well I might as well put it to use!!!!

Last edited by G Shearing; 28 September 2005 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: additional info
G Shearing is offline   Reply With Quote