View Single Post
Old 31 January 2010, 04:58 AM   #25
franksremote

Watch: IWC DaVinci 3750
Quote:
Originally Posted by smafla View Post
Best pic I could take. Note crack at zero indicator.
I did something similar to my TT Blue Sub when diving in Belize a number of years ago. After a dive, I noticed a "chip" on the insert at around the "5" mark. Thinking it just added character to the watch I left it alone and didn't think twice about it until my dive vacation was over (another 10 dives or so over 3-4 days) and while sitting on the plane, noticed that the chip/hole had grown so that the insert had a complete hole/gap from the 5-15 marks or so, like it (seawater) had eaten away more of the insert on the subsequent dive's.

Not knowing better I thought it was the complete bezel that needed replacement and expected to pay a pretty penny to replace it. Luckily, the watchmaker I brought it to said it was only the insert and replaced it for $45 or so (this was 10 or so years ago). I was so relieved that I didn't need to spend hundreds to replace the 18k bezel that it didn't even dawn on me the $45 was a little high, but MUCH cheaper than a complete bezel replacement.

Yours looks to be similar and I would think it isn't gonna cost as much as you think to get it back to 100%. Cool thing is, I got to keep the damaged insert and am fondly reminded of that dive trip every time I come across the envelope with the damaged insert in it. I never did remember what I did in the first place to cause the original chip...

Hope this helps alleviate the giant dollar signs dancing in your head. ;)
franksremote is offline   Reply With Quote