View Single Post
Old 5 February 2007, 10:13 AM   #52
amanda
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
My advice (well... not really advice, more like opinion! ) is that if you want to get a DSLR, get a body only, and use the money you've saved towards some decent lenses. even if you can find a gently used, older lens, you're in business. make sure it's in good condition and fungus free. Some of the older lenses are rock solid and built to last.

Even if you pick up an old film SLR bundled with lenses it can be a great buy.
Hell, I'm still shooting film. for three reasons: I like experimenting with different stock, I like the learning experience, and I like being a bit old-fashioned

Also, I've recently discovered that the most fun can be had with a sharp, fast 50mm prime lens (or around the 35mm mark for you digital people).
Instead of using a zoom lense to frame your subject, you actually have to MOVE to re-frame and compose a shot, which of course means you spend more time thinking about and setting up the shot.

Also, at f2 or faster you can have a lot of fun with depth of field or bokeh (just wanted to say that ), plus you won't have to worry much about a blurred picture, even if you are using 50 ISO trannie film
Hair waving in the wind, birds flying etc will be frozen in time. Fun stuff
Very good advice. A Canon 400D and a 50mm F1.8 is not alot of $ and plenty to start learning with. The 50mm is an awesome lens around the $60US mark I think or in our terms RRP$149AU. It's very fast and the best bang for buck out there.

As they say Ashley its not just the camera that takes the photos - its the person behind the lens... you can be creative with ANY camera... a Canon ELPH (IXUS) for a few hundred $ will get you started. Many of the shots on this site are taken with Point and Shoots... for watch photos it's all about the lighting which has been said here lots already! All you need is a Macro function... a true Macro lens for a DSLR will cost hundreds.

Get yourself a camera and have fun with it... its all about YOU not the camera.
amanda is offline   Reply With Quote