View Single Post
Old 15 March 2007, 08:43 AM   #4
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
But the tourbillon works best in one position and in theory the tourbillon is always modifying the slight timing errors in the vertical position.The tourbillon does not correct position variations; it only prevents them being detected in the usual testing conditions. But when placed on say a testing machine, the tourbillon reveals its many weaknesses immediately.
I'm struggling to understand, I thought that tourbillon has the effect of canceling out gravity the effects of gravity because the escapement is mounted in a rotating frame which rotates every minute or in the case of the new Panerai Tourbillon every 30 seconds. Thus the watch is not effected by positional error, i.e. you can leave it crown down or crown up at night to gain or loose a few seconds, because the escapement is continually rotating and the positional variation is cancelled? I didn't think this was an illusion, but a clever device to overcome positional errors. Admittedly, today, positional error of a good watch maybe very small, nevertheless the Tourbillion is a movement which does present a solution to positional error.
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote