View Single Post
Old 9 April 2007, 01:17 AM   #9
orotek

Thanks for the explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Afraid Rolex not anymore but Omega will upon request. The COSC test today is little more than a pure marketing ploy.With say watches like the Explorer COSC tested,and the non date Sub not COSC tested. But exactly the same movement the Cal 3130 or the Cal 3000.Now each bare movement and thats whats tested costs around £140 per movement.Now this cost is then passed on the the buyer, but now that cost has gone from £140 to around £500 per watch.Truth be told all the Rolex movement are more that capable of COSC standards. As the majority of modern day movements all brands Japanese European, Swiss, and even a few Chinese.All they need is a bit of patience and regulation.But because these movement were not made to be chronometers like Rolex.They will need more care and perhaps more regulation to keep them there and to standard.

Direct quote from Watchbore estimate that at least 15,000 Rolex movements failed in 2001-2. According to Rolex, the rejects are re-regulated or re oiled and fixed, and sent back to COSC until they pass.A Rolex direct Quote. "We don’t use COSC to tell us how good our movements are," said a source deep inside the Wilsdorf Rolex foundation. "we test them ourselves". All we want is the chronometer certification, "It’s only for marketing purposes.".

Hi padi56

Thanks for your response.

Also, thank you for the full explanation regarding the chronometer certification.

Perhaps, prospective buyers feel more confident when they see the word 'Chronometer' on the watch dial. I fully agree with you that most of the watches of today can be regulated to achieve optimum accuracy. It all depends on the watchmaker.

During my younger days, a plus-minus 10 secs was acceptable for a watch with a choronometer ratings but today, I discover that some watches belonging to our members have an accuracy of plus-minus 2 secs, which is really excellent.

Since I have lost touch with this interesting world of watch collecting, I am able to learn alot from people like you and also other respectable members, regarding this subject. It is hoped that you and the rest do not mind, should some of my queries appear silly. It is the only way to learn and that is by asking from those who know.

Thanks and regards.
orotek is offline   Reply With Quote