View Single Post
Old 9 April 2007, 07:02 PM   #12
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orotek View Post
Hi padi56

Like many others, we agree to the fact that the word Chronometer builds confidence in the prospective buyers' mind.

I am surprised to learn that the fee payable, testifying a watch has qualified as a Chronometer, is pretty high. Anyway, anyone intending to purchase a Rolex has the means to absorb that extra dollars built into the price.

Apart from making one of the finest movements money can buy, Rolex marketing strategy is just first class. From day one, Wilsdorf the Great (a businessman rather than a watchmaker) has fallen in love with the word Chronometer and he knew that this word sells. Definitely, as a businessman, he knew what the market wanted. However it was not easy since, Rolex is a relatively young name compared to Patek, Vacheron and Jaeger, etc. Apparently, he managed to do the impossible, turning the youngest name into the most powerful name in the world of timekeeping. Whatever, to own a Rolex is indeed satisfying. At one time, there was a belief, 'No Omega no Switzerland' but as of now, we are sure the saying would be, 'No Rolex no Switzerland'. Unfortunately, our Wilsdorf the Great does not live long enough to enjoy this triumph. Nevertheless, he must be smiling with satisfaction in Paradise, now.

Since bygone days, virtually all movements made by Patek Philippe are Chronometers but yet to be seen a single watch with this title on its dial. Needless to say, this brand still sells very well, in spite of its extremely high price. Into it, a tremendously high quality movement must have gone in, before the name goes out. Otherwise, nobody would care to give it a second look, much less buying one.

The beauty of a Rolex with its oyster case is, from a distance one knows it has to be a Rolex and nothing else, just like the front grille of a Mercedes Benz. Again, like a Mercedes, the Oyster does not grow old but becomes a vintage. Unlike the Cellini, though a Rolex, it is unable to capture the market since it looks just like another watch from a distance and it has no character to boast.

Thanks and regards.
Yes would agree 100% with you old Hans was a very shrewd business man.Grasping every opportunity to get his watches in the public eye.You could say that Hans could see the power of advertising as a sheer power marketing tool.He grasped every patent new idea he could to make his watches what they are today.You could say today that the world is there Oyster.And if you took say 100 people of the streets,and asked then to choose between say a $4000 Rolex or a $30000 Patek IMHO 90% would choose the Rolex simply because of the power of the Rolex name,now that is some achievement in my book.

Rolex acquired the first patent for the twin lock crown, and in later years developed the trip-lock crown.But the true facts are that Hans Wilsdorf acquired the patent from Paul Perregaux and Georges Peret, who registered a Swiss patent in 1925 for the twin lock screw stem watertight system .He very quickly negotiated to have the Perregaux and Peret patent assigned to him. Wilsdorf then obtained a British patent on October 18, 1926.Mr Wisdorf was a very very clever business man.And with the Francis Baummgartner ??, made cases, based on a patent design by Borgel.In 1927 the Rolex Oyster was born,the rest is pure brilliant marketing history.And thats what myself truly admire about Rolex today,yes Rolex is a fine watch and product. But its Hans Wilsdorf and marketing brilliance thats made Rolex today.I would go to say that he almost brain washed the public,into thinking that Rolex is the best watch on this planet.That you got to admire,Rolex today is the most recognised watch name in this world today.A bit like Co-cola and MC Donald's today its all about Brand.And today quite a few just wear a brand,and Know very little what goes on under the hood.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote