View Single Post
Old 12 September 2010, 12:48 PM   #2
adam78
"TRF" Member

That's an awesome watch, the dial makes the watch, and contributes the great majority of its value (for this 2940 -- I think -- likely about 2/3 of the value). I've seen similar watches go for at least 4K from dealers, but it might be hard to realize that much in this collector's market.

A nice vintage style brown pigskin strap would be a great complement. International Watchman has some decent vintage style straps that aren't too costly. Or you could dress it up with a 17mm brown alligator or croco.

The official name of this type of dial is a Roman-Arabic dial. The term "California dial" is a recent construct, probably from a California-based dial refinishing company that made these popular (as redials) a decade or two ago. But a gorgeous original is always preferable! Actually I think they were referred to in the '40s as a highly luminous dial, since the numerals are stamped into the metal of the dial and filled with lume, so necessarily there is about twice the radium in each plot as would be the case otherwise.

Here is my sole Roman-Arabic dial (a manual wind Oyster from about the same time):