View Single Post
Old 18 September 2010, 12:35 PM   #35
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockingbird View Post
What are the specs on the desktop? I always build my own (call it a hobby), and would love to hear what you did.
I'll look everything up on NewEgg and list it below. I rebuild my system every 2 to 3 years, though I might go longer this time around since I don't have time to play any games for the next few years while doing graduate work and getting a PhD dissertation together. That, and my system is so ahead of the curve right now; it isn't like the last time I built a system when the video cards were way behind the games; right now the cards I used are ahead of the curve by quite a bit. Besides which, technology changes so much sometimes in 3 years that I have to relearn how to overclock a system to is maximum and fully research the new technologies before building a system...

This is the one I built around a month or so before Christmas time last year, give or take a week or two.
  1. Intel i7-920 2.66GHz OverClocked to 3.8GHz using a Prolimatech Megahalem heatsink and high RPM fans
  2. ASUS P6TD Delixe LGA 1366 Intel X58
  3. OCZ XMP Ready Series 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
  4. Two HIS Radeon HD 2GB 5970s in CrossFireX mode
  5. COOLER MASTER HAF 932 in Black Steel
  6. BFG Tech EX-1200 (1200W PSU)
  7. Pioneer Black Blu-Ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer SATA BDR-205BKS
  8. Four HITACHI Deskstar HD31000 IDK/7K 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0GB/s Internal Hard Drives in RAID 10