View Single Post
Old 23 October 2010, 02:33 AM   #27
Gugnunc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5500 Exp & 114270
Hi David,
My opinion remains - do not let Rolex sevice it. They will do a first class job but their remit is to return a watch in as near to as-new condition as possible; this means that the dial and/or hands may be refurbished or replaced and the consequence of this is that your watch will lose much of its value if you ever want to sell it. I know selling is unlikely in your (and my) case but nevertheless I would want to hang on to as much originality as possible, especially with a 5500 Explorer - a new dial/hands are often the sign of a converted Air King. My local AD uses an independent, but Rolex trained, watchmaker who has done a first-class job on my 5500 - it is actually running better than new. I don't think that we are allowed to promote a specific AD on this forum but if you wish to send me a personal message I can reply with their name, address, 'phone number and e-mail. No reason why you shouldn't use them if you want - but they do have a three month waiting list! They are based in Norwich. I was actually in that city last week and purely by chance, met their service manager - she is going search their records to check whether my Explorer contains a 1520 or 1530! I am to contact her next week. By the way, technically I believe all Explorers are Sports models. Philip

Last edited by Gugnunc; 23 October 2010 at 02:38 AM.. Reason: Spelling (what else!)
Gugnunc is offline   Reply With Quote