View Single Post
Old 27 October 2010, 02:10 AM   #139
t e x
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrunner View Post
Well first and foremost Cliff Lee got to choose where he wanted to go. He had veto power and essentially the say on what team he would play for. Secondly, The ownership was already in place for the Rangers when the trade was made. The new ownership is on the hook for Lee's salary so I really don't see anything wrong with it. MLB was NOT paying his salary. This is completely false. Not at any point did MLB own the Rangers like they owned the Expos before their move to Washington. Also if an owner in a small market team cannot come up with 15 million to pay for Lee's remaining salary to stay in contention or possibly make a run for the WS then they should not own the team. The team would make that back in playoff revenue. I don't think there was any small market team left out of the Leee bidding. It came down to where Lee was willing to play.
touche and well said. i might add that it also boiled down to the team that held Lee's right, the M's and their willingness to seal the deal with Texas at end of the day.

...and to comment even further, the auction process made the creditors and others owned money whole.

t e x is offline   Reply With Quote