View Single Post
Old 2 November 2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Megalobyte
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...me go broke
A 7 year review of the Baume Et Mercier Capeland S Chronograph

It's not often I keep a watch so long, so, I thought it might be fun to do a review of this watch, its ups and downs over the years.

I bought it from a gray market internet dealer just after they came out, it must be around 7-8 years ago. I always felt the quality and finish work to be extremely high, and have long felt this watch never quite got the attention it deserved. For whatever reason, they never became a hot watch, but I'm not into watches for their popularity anyway, quality is what I'm after, and I have to say, in the years I've owned it, as picky as I am, it really never disappointed, I've had many "finer" watches that weren't nearly as well made and precise.

It runs on a modified 7750 mvt, I don't recall the caliber B&M named it, but it has proven to be an extremely accurate and precise performer. It has seen a fair bit of ocean and pool immersion, including using the chrono underwater, the watch is rated at 200M and you can actually use the chrono function at 200M according to B&M. I also never babied it, the mvt received it's fair share of jolts and shocks, and never missed a beat.

When I wore the watch off and on for a few years, it was accurate to a second or 2 a day, very consistantly. But, as I procrastinated sending it in for service, after some years, perhaps 4-5, it started to finally lose it's accuracy, and still I procrastinated, as I had other, newer watches I was happily playing around with, and so it sat, unloved and unworn. But a few months ago, I finally sent it in for a service, they of course offered to refinish for a fee, which I declined, as the watch was in pretty good shape already, and once worn again, would get those scratches soon anyway.

For what I felt was a very reasonable $300, and remember, this watch was bought without a valid warranty, gray market, they did a complete service, including repolishing of the hands, cleaning/lubing of case, mvt, adjustment and pressure testing/new seals. And the watch now basically has a 1 year factory warranty on it, what a deal, seriously.

Well, I got the watch back in only about 3 weeks, and since receiving it, to my delight, the thing is consistantly gaining a whopping second a day and the mvt purrs like a kitten. The bezel, and all sub dials still zero perfectly, and other than the very light bezel scratches, I feel like I have a new watch again. The surprisingly bright super luminova still glows very intensely, and the bezel still has a very strong, stiff (in a good way) feel to it, with not a hint of weakening or misalignment. It's really just like it was when brand new. I've had some more expensive divers have their bezels lose precision and strength within a year or so of light use, this one stayed strong and dead on for 7-8, and the watch isn't really a serious diver, though it certainly could be used as such with a solid 200M WR.

And since they now retail for around 4K on bracelet, and I paid $1500 new on bracelet gray market those years ago, well, I certainly can't complain. :)

My only gripes are: the beautifully finished SS bracelet doesn't have a micro adjustment feature, and can only be sized by removing/adding links, but, the links are screwed in with large flathead ss screws, so, not too difficult to do if you choose. The other is that the bezel is a little harder to turn when wet than it should be, but, again, this is much more of a sport watch than a serious dive watch, and I can and do live with that. These are really my only minor complaints, and I can be pretty anal and picky. :) (I know, WHAT??? an anal watch enthusiast?)

Great, underrated watch, that can still be had new from gray market dealers for around $1900 on steel and perhaps like new on Ebay or elsewhere for closer to $1200, which frankly is a major bargain. It's sporty and robust, but not overly thick or heavy and looks great as a dress watch too. Knowing now how high the quality is of the Capeland series, I only wish I had snagged one of the XXL Ti Capeland divers back when I had the chance years ago for a very good price, that would have been a really nice diver to own I suspect. Oh well, can't have them all I guess, but I'll try...

Megalobyte is offline   Reply With Quote