View Single Post
Old 5 November 2010, 05:30 AM   #9
mjohnr99
"TRF" Member

Eric88, thank you for the point in the right direction! That thread was fantastic. I knew something had to be out there, but for some reason I guess I am just too inexperienced to find it.

What I learned:

1) The two "half-links" next to the special "slide link" in the glidelock clasp DO present an opportunity to be moved in order to fine tune bracelet fit. (Upon closer inspection, I realized that only one of the two can actually be moved as indicated in your thread. But that is fine of course.)

2) That if you have an approximately 7" wrist like me, in many situations removing 2 full links will result in a good fit with flexibility to adjust the glidelock both ways as needed. [Of course, the question remains: which side(s) to remove the two links on? (see #3 below).] But even with a 7" wrist, because of the glidelock, the number of links to remove is not a science. Depending on where you want the "slide link" to initally rest in the glidelock clasp when the watch is first put on (i.e., "slide link" fully retracted, fully extended, or in the middle somewhere . . . which will of course vary depending on how/where you use your watch), for someone with a ~7" wrist, you may end up removing 1 1/2 links, 2 links, 2 1/2 links, or even perhaps 3 links from the inital Rolex bracelet set-up. [With a 7" wrist though, the watch will be far too loose IMHO if you are trying to remove only 1 link, even with the glidelock fully retracted.]

3) It seems that for some, having more links removed on the 6-side then the 12-side can prevent the case from riding up towards the 12-side . . . something you may only notice after wearing the watch for awhile. Good consideration. Again, perhaps this is another reason why my dealer removed my two links both on the 6-side initially? From Eric88's thread, it is clear that this is something unique to each wrist and preference, and only expermimentation will suffice. [Even though a pain to have to worry and fool with this, in the end the flexibility to get a perfect fit seems worth it.]

4) Given that it looks like I need to experiment and do not want to return to the dealer mutliple times, I am considering doing this myself. I too noticed the factory set plumber's putty white stuff on the threads of the screws (it was on the screws of the two links that the dealer had already removed for my wife); I too imagine over time, it would completely dissapear as you indicated in your thread. Question: Did it take great force to remove the screws in the links? The white stuff doesn't seem to be locktite. If I can easily break through the white stuff and remove screws with simple force (no heat, etc.), then I am willing to try it. Once I have a final configuration that I like for a few months, then I will monitor which screws I had to remove and reinstall so that I can take back to the dealer for loctite application on them if need be. The fact that one screw by the clasp opener (surely where the dealer had removed my two links) has come loose already in a week's time is very unnerving, just as sond86 emphasizes above.

OK, thanks again to all!
mjohnr99 is offline   Reply With Quote