View Single Post
Old 28 January 2011, 01:19 PM   #1
alettiere
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
AD vs TRF for first-time purchase.

Hey guys, I’ve been saving for my first (and only) Rolex purchase for a few months now and am about halfway there. After debating between a classic Sub and Sub-C , I have my heart set on the ceramic.

As I’ve gotten closer to being able to make my purchase, I’ve been dropping by a few ADs in my area to just “test the waters” and get a general idea of what I’ll be having to shell out cash-wise, as well as trying on the various watches that have sparked my interest.

It seems that prices on TRF are better when making comparisons to the AD. Not drastically better, but definitely more appealing. Unfortunately, when I talk “discounts” with the ADs, they offer nothing. In fact, they offer no real incentive for me to purchase other than the usual sales scare tactic about “prices going up next week” and discussing their financing option if I wanted to go that route instead of paying all at once (which is my preferred method). I find their refusal to mildly negotiate to be a little unusual, but have been told that unless you’re a regular, don’t expect to walk in and get any accommodations. Although, maybe the fact that I admit that I’m still in the process of saving and not showing up with the intent to purchase right then and there doesn’t give them the motivation to attempt to work with me.

It seems that TRF is the way to go if you’re wanting to get the best price, although I’m wondering, are there any disadvantages to this? If a seller is reputable and the price is right, why would I bother spending a little more at an AD? The warranty (provided it’s available) should still be intact and transferable, right? Does it really just boil down to not being able to run to the AD where I purchased it if problems were to arise?

Ultimately, my goal is to be able to purchase when I hit 7K – which seems doable when I frequently browse TRF. At a local AD in my area? Not so doable. Is it really worth the extra dollar to go with an AD and pay their full price? Hell, the sales tax alone makes me want to hurl!
alettiere is offline   Reply With Quote