View Single Post
Old 10 May 2011, 06:41 PM   #10
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Connies
Yes, it's a 14k American Cased model with a calibre 625 handwind. Classic dress watch style of the 70s I believe with an exceptionally attractive dial The DD prefix was one of a number of prefixes that indicated US case manufacture.

Your Connie looks to me to be a solid gold 168.005, calibre 561. This model was designed by Gerald Genta in 1958 and had a ten year life in the Omega collection. The dog leg lugged case is a favourite amongst collectors. Keep the crown as they are no longer made. Case is very sharp. Dial has been refinished during the watch's lifetime.

The mid-500 series of calibres, of which the 561 was a member, are regarded by collectors as the best series production movement ever produced: robust, accurate, and superb design. It was the movement that saw the Constellation as the top brand in its class and outsold Rolex by 100s of thousands.

Cheers

desmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by beta View Post
thanks guys.

desmond, as it seems you are a constellation expert, hopefully you can tell me more about my watch...ive wore it for almost 10 years without knowing much about it. my grandfather gave it to me, and he must have worn it for at least 30 years before me. its in ok condition but the gold plating has flaked off the winding knob, and part of the black material has fallen off the minute hand.

here are new pics of both omegas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3528291...7626562918965/

i took off the back case, but i dont know which numbers to be reading...you can see the numbers if you maximize the picture sizes...thanks in advance guys!
mondodec is offline   Reply With Quote