View Single Post
Old 12 May 2011, 07:34 PM   #20
Ironstark
TechXpert

Watch: SS/W Skydweller
What do we earn? Never enough!!!
As has been said, what you can earn very much depends on how you choose to work or who for. As an independent you are more flexible and have the ability to earn more than you could as a salaried watchmaker for an AD or a watch house/affiliate. Once you have established a client base as an independent it depends on how much time you want to spend working. I know quite a few independents who earn good money but spend a great deal of their time at the bench. Plus you then have all of the associated hassles of running your own business. Health care,sick pay, pension provision, taxes, equipment, a large expenditure for a decent workshop (and if you want to work on certain brands there will be required tools which you must have in order to do so) salaries if you expand to a point where you need help, holidays may be difficult to take when you want etc..etc...
If you choose to go the employed route then your salary may be less. However you can walk out the door at 5/5.30 and have all the benefits your employer has to offer (without having to provide these for yourself)
Thats the route I followed. I'm lucky, I work for Rolex so have the very best conditions and tools and all of the things I mentioned above, pension, health care etc.. are all taken care of and I wouldn't change it.
It depends on what work/life balance you want too.
I'm well paid and even though I'm restricted to two brands, Rolex and Tudor thats more than enough for me.
Ironstark is offline   Reply With Quote