View Single Post
Old 7 July 2007, 10:35 PM   #25
pinwit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedanken View Post
And you ain't gotta say nuthin' neither.
I don't see much point in a discussion forum if nobody should make a counter-argument.

Quote:
Is that what you call a reasoned argument? Who died and pronounced you fit to arbitrarily declare that the question was legitimate?
To repeat myself, I don't see much point in a discussion forum if nobody should make a counter-argument. However, I do value your reply, as this is a discussion forum and we should be allowed to have a view.

With respect to your reasoned argument, I would take issue with idea that the general's offensive remark was in any way a serious attempt to compare prostitution with gun crime. It was surely a device aimed at evading the question.

I do like the reasoning though. It takes some effort to argue that the female reproductive organs are "equipment" in the same way that a gun is. Unfortunately an analogy often doesn't bear too much scrutiny and that is surely the case here.

My previous post raised the serious point that an offensive remark is no rebuttal of an argument (and my post being invective, I respectfully suggest not).

I think the real analysis would be better served by discussing the general's aim here. A difficult question - let's slap the women down perhaps? Let's face it, a general is both a military man and a something of a politician nowadays and as he was being interviewed, presumably has skills in this area. I find it difficult to believe that the general could not handle the question respectfully. He didn't and I simply don't find this in any way amusing.

Quote:
Now if you weren't blinded by political correctness ...
I'm sorry but I am of the generation that holds a door open for a lady and far too old for PC rhetoric.

Quote:
Speaking as a mod, I'll thank you not to burst in here with both barrels blazing, especially seeing as how you claim to be anti-violence.
I have never claimed to be anti-violence. I am however, decidedly free-speech. As you have raised the fact that you are a moderator, are you telling me that this discussion forum is not open to free discussion?