Thread: 904l
View Single Post
Old 24 June 2011, 06:41 PM   #13
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc324 View Post
Padi, thanks for the detail. I am just curious if there are any difference in the polishing for 904 vs 316? How about hardness?
Not sure about the polishing side but 904L has a little bit more nickel so IMHO would look a bit more dull grey looking.As for hardness 904L is no harder than 316L, fact 316L can be harder than 904L its down to how the metal is tempered.The 904L grade of SS was brought out for industries that use high acid products like sulphuric acids.And even factories for the pickling trade using vinegar etc and desalination plants and not for the jewellery trade.Although 904L is more expensive than 316L one of the main reasons for this is simply demand, 316L sells in a much bigger proportion to 904L steels.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote