Thread: 16613
View Single Post
Old 19 October 2011, 01:02 AM   #36
CMT
"TRF" Member

I finally had the chance to inspect and try on a 116613 at Tourneau in NYC, and given some of the negative reviews of the piece I wasn't anywhere nearly as disgusted with the new ceramic model as I'd expected. In the end I do prefer my 16613 to the new model, which is good because I cannot afford the switch regardless, but the new Submariner has a substance and a presence that, while retaining the classic aesthetic of the Sub, is still larger than that of its predecessor. I did not get a chance to see the piece in natural daylight where I could get a better idea of the nuance of its new blue hue, but I did think that it's a very sharp piece in its own right. Personally I'd still choose the 16613 on the merits of its classic royal blue bezel and dial. I'm just too in love with the color. It may not have the maxi everything of the new Sub, but in two tone I definitely prefer the more elegant aspects of the 16613 case, hands, etc.

New pictures below, I just bought a new lens and wanted to try it out. It's a 14mm "super-wide" so it's hardly optimal for watch shots, but I needed something to shoot and the 16613 is always on hand. Or perhaps "on wrist" is more appropriate.

CMT is offline   Reply With Quote