View Single Post
Old 6 December 2011, 02:08 AM   #81
watchdaddy1
Banned

Watch: strap whore
Quote:
Originally Posted by eelpie View Post
. . . simplistic.

"If you don't like Panerai then either you don't understand them or you can't afford them." Wow, is that insulting to people who just happen to have opposing views!

I have never cared for the range on a number of levels. I think the crown guard thingey is an affectation, just like the protruding helium valve on the Seamasters. Unnecessary in real life for 99.9% of their owners, and a real 'look at me' ostentation.

Rolex has James Bond and Omega has NASA (and now James Bond) in their histories, not that they're reasons to buy a watch. But 'Worn by the Italian Navy frogmen'? I'd hardly call Panerai an historical marque.

I have always felt that Panerai is the horological equivalent of the emperor's new clothes. Someone a few years back decided they were de rigeur, so a lot of others jumped on the band-wagon. Fine.

Now, before I'm dubbed a "hater", let me explain that I do understand them (whatever that's supposed to mean), I can afford them, and the ETA heritage of the movement turns me off not a whit. It doesn't bother me in similarly priced Breitlings and it doesn't bother me in Panerai.

I feel that, if you like them and want to buy all that you can, knock yourself out.

Just don't expect the rest of us to ooh and aah over watches we don't really like . . .
WOW- You dont know much on the brand do you. But thats ok more for me!!!!.Panerai used a Rolex mvmnt @ 1 time, also a # of others come to mind as well.Please do some studying 1st
watchdaddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote