View Single Post
Old 15 December 2011, 09:47 AM   #155
Tony-GB
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116680 & 116622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
I love that story. It's a bit hard to believe one had the privilege to meet Mr.Genta and briefly discuss the age old question of RO vs. Nautilus with himself, but what he said makes a lot of sense of course. Unfortunately "better value for money" means almost nothing about luxury goods. In most cases one luxury item costing more than another automatically means it has a higher prestige. Sad but true. But of course he's right about that too, for example my 15300ST cost less than half of how much I could have had a 5711/1A for. And what's even more amazing: even though at its launch in 1972 the original RO cost 11 times more than a steel Submariner back then, now the difference is less than 2 times. Either Rolex watches cost "too much" lately, or the RO has become a "bargain"
The thing is, if it was now I would plague him with questions (if he were alive) but at that time I simply liked watches, had no idea about being a WIS and he was getting in the way of my purchase! And he offered the information, I didn't have a clue who he was or what his standing within the industry was/is.

But at the end of the day, it's all about passion and I still like and appreciate the 5711 and 5711R very much. But will always prefer the Oak range. Mr Genta never once mentioned the Offshore range. Of course I would ask him his thoughts on the Offsore. But now I will never know...

http://www.helenanddouglas.org.uk/

www.cheetah.org
Tony-GB is offline   Reply With Quote