View Single Post
Old 14 February 2012, 01:09 AM   #38
JustABreathAway
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Reference
Quote:
Originally Posted by donas View Post
Related to this topic, since I have read it in this thread a few times -- My local AD, that I mentioned in my previous post, advised me of a scam that they got stung with recently. They sold a very large multi-carat diamond ring to a couple from out of state; the couple talked them into mailing the empty box to their out of state residence and let them walk out with the ring. When the box arrived at the post office the couple acted "so excited" to get their extravagant purchase that they insisted on showing it off to the Post Master. Of course, when they opened the package in front of him the box was empty and they cried Scam!! Needless to say, the jewelry store couldn't complain because they violated the law to start with.

I was amazed at the creativity of the thieves, so I thought I would share with you guys.
The first time I heard of the practice of the AD mailing an empty box out of state while letting the purchaser walk out with the watch on his wrist, this is immediately what I thought of. As you allude, no written contract or description of actual events would exist as the AD has violated the law, so they are very much at the whim of the customer. You could argue that the AD could use security footage to show the customer walking out with the piece of jewelry, but again, this would be evidence of law breaking on the part of the AD.
JustABreathAway is offline   Reply With Quote