View Single Post
Old 14 May 2012, 12:54 PM   #54
caryyee
"TRF" Member

I've just wandered down to Salera's, a few hundred meters from work, who would have thought there would be an AD for Grand Seiko's so close to me???

They only had a small selection in stock, including a GMT, and chronograph and a normal date model. I checked out the black dialed SS date model SBGH005 and the white dialed titanium white dialed power reserve Spring Drive model SBGA0011. Wow, this is the first time I've seen a Grand Seiko in person, and they are definitely a work of art. Extremely beautiful and elegant, I could happily wear one of those on my wrist. Super incognito, no one at all would know that they almost cost as much DateJust! RRP is exactly $8k, competitive with the Japanese price I was told by the salesperson. I asked re a discount, they said they could move a little bit on price, but not much as the price is on par with the Japanese price. In terms of servicing, they said there was an authorsied service center in Sydney.

My impressions? Definitely gorgeous, definitely extremely well made, definitely a watch I'd love to wear, but hmmmm, at AUD$8k , I could spend slightly less than $2k more (at Australian RRP) and get a Sub which would be almost money in the back should I wish to sell at a later stage. For that AUD$8k, I could also buy a Planet Ocean or a Speedy moonwatch with $2-3k spare change left over. Hmmmm ....

Apologies for the low quality pics, from my iPhone 4 ...