View Single Post
Old 15 June 2012, 01:15 AM   #1
SaddleSC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Hulk 116610LV
OBSERVATIONS: Omega PO8500 vs 116610 Sub C

I recently acquired two PO8500s and also own a Sub C and DSSD. When comparing the PO8500 Ceramic head-to-head against the 116610LV Submariner I have observed the following with regard to the overall quality, performance and value...

CASE AND CASE FINISH = TIE
The case finishing on both watches is excellent. The Omega does shine in two distinct areas. First, the sides of the case are brushed (which I love). When handling my watches, it is always the sides of the case that pick up the most fingerprints and hairline scratches. By horizontally brushing these surfaces, the Omega PO feels like a serious diving tool. Second, I really like the huge 45 degree chamfers on the case lugs, which give the watch great proportions and are also less likely to be dinged or dented if the watch is subjected to serious use/abuse. I do, however, prefer the darker gray appearance of the 904L case/bracelet as well as the pronounced crown guards of the Submariner case. The Submariner case is also quite a bit thinner, with a lower center of gravity, so it tends to wear more comfortably.

MOVEMENT = OMEGA
The Rolex 3135 movement is a well-proven and time-tested workhorse; the 8500 is the new kid on the block using a co-axial escapement and a silicon hairspring. There is a lot to like about both movements, but I really admire Omega for pushing the envelope here and integrating new technology in their in-house 8500. Whether the 8500 will stand the test of time still remains to be seen, but it is off to a great start.

BRACELET/ENDLINKS/CLASP = ROLEX
The Omega PO8500s greatest shortcoming is the lack of micro-adjustability in the clasp. The Rolex Glidelock system is an absolute work of art and the ability to always attain the perfect fit has spoiled me for most other watches.

I am not saying that Omega needs a system as complex as Glidelock, but the PO does not even offer technology as simple as the EasyLink system or even clasp micro-adjustments (which are found on my Speedmaster Pro and were found on even the earliest Submariners). The only way to customize the fit is the removal/insertion of an included half-link. When combined with the increased case thickness and slightly more top-heavy nature of the PO8500, it makes this omission even more obvious.

In addition, the fit of the end-links are not as tight on the PO. My Sub C has a very tight fit with very small tolerances. So tight, in fact, that it feels almost like one smoothly integrated whole.

The clasp design and end-link fitment gives Rolex a distinct and compelling advantage, not only in the overall fit and finish of the watch, but also in real world comfort.

BEZEL = TIE
I own an orange PO8500 with the aluminum insert and a black PO8500 with the ceramic insert. Much has already been said about the debate between Ceramic and Aluminum. One is more prone to shatter, whereas the other is prone to scratch and fade. I find the PO8500 ceramic to be well finished and matte gray in appearance. I slightly prefer the open engravings on the surface of the Rolex, but I find the filled numbers and matte finish on the Omega to give the watch a very cool tool-like appearance. There is no winner here...simply personal preference.

CONCLUSIONS
These are both fantastic watches with different strengths. The Omega Planet Ocean 8500 is a watch that I am both proud to own and look forward to enjoying for a long time.

When you handle both watches, there are certain intangibles that cannot be distinctly quantified...the feel of the bezel ratchet, the fit and finish of the end-links, the snap of the clasp, the reflectivity of the surfaces, the legibility and quality of the dial, etc. When I examine these watches in there totality, I would say that the 116610LV still "feels" like a more expensive watch (as it should due to the fact that it costs 50% more).

IMO, there is absolutely no shame in coming in a very close second to a watch as nearly-perfect as the Submariner. When you consider the price, the Omega is an absolute bargain for all that it has to offer. You simply cannot go wrong with either watch and my recommendation (as always) is to buy both.