View Single Post
Old 21 June 2012, 11:38 AM   #58
mondodec
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Connies
I'm a tad confused about your statement that Omega is a bit confused and I think its a bit of a myth that Omega changes designs with immoderate haste.

The Constellation: design is still highly derivative of the 1982 Manhattan; Seamaster Professional: pretty much the same case design as in 1990 with a few dial and bezel tweaks; Ploprof: 1970s design re-released; Planet Ocean: New collection but the design is essentially that of the Seamaster 300 models released in 1957; DeVIlle, apart from hour vision, cases all based on 1940s and 1950s Omega machine age designs; Speedmaster Professional: virtually unchanged since 1963

Omega for the better parts of its 165 year history has always had a number of collections, which, from time to time, receive minor and evolutionary upgrades. Show me something dramatically different or some abrupt change in Omega design language over the last two decades (apart from an orange bezel) and I will eat my hat. Two sub-dials instead of three in chronographs is not earth shattering, dial variations and changes (which all watch companies do, including Rolex) are not breathtakingly radical, and even the introduction of two new calibres over the last decade has not been accompanied by a revolution in case or dial design.

"Time honoured" in the watch world equals conservative, some would say reactionary, and both Rolex and Omega are considered very conservative in their designs. Go to Baselworld any year and the buzz you pick up about the designs of both is "safe", "unadventurous", "traditional", "restrained" "very "Audi sedan like".

Both, in their own way ,focus on horological invention and innovation rather than fashion design, which, of course, is a very commercially sensible thing to do by mass production manufactures at the quality and veblen end of the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
rolex strength is in its time honored design, a submariner was designed with very specific purpose, it ws tweaked a bit in its early days & has since remained visually unchanged.
the hands /dial/bezel/case/ bracelet etc.... are the same as they ever were.
this imho is what makes the brand more desirable.

omega is confused, many of their key models change as often as some change their underwear, if you have any doubt about this, look at the speedy pro, arguably the most loved model omega has ever, will ever produce..... why because it went to the moon?
NO, becuse they havent altered it.

nuff said.
mondodec is offline   Reply With Quote