Thread: Help with Omega
View Single Post
Old 10 July 2012, 10:06 PM   #4
The GMT Master
"TRF" Member

It did have two sub dials, correct? If so, this is the cal. 9300, Omega's completely in-house chronograph movement. The previous auto Speedmasters (as well as quite a few currrent variants) used a variety of movements, most commonly the Co-Axial cal. 3313. This was a modified F. Piguet movement with Omega's exclusive Co-Axial escapement. The classic Speedmaster Pro uses the cal. 1861, which is an evolution of a Lemania movement that they've been using since the 1970s - it's become so synonymous with Omega and the Moonwatch, it might as well be in house these days

As for the cal. 9300, it's a very impressive movement. I like the innovative dial layout, increasing legibility, improving functionality (that natty combined hour/minute counter doubles as a GMT function), and lending a nice amount of symmetry most chronos with dates can't match. The big power reserve and beautiful finishing are positives too, and with a 4 year warranty and longer service intervals, it's a pretty formidable package. The downside is that it is slightly taller than the previous chrono movements used, adding extra height to the watch on the wrist. Overall, I like it, but I wouldn't have one over the Speedmaster Pro

Chris
The GMT Master is offline   Reply With Quote