View Single Post
Old 10 August 2012, 05:24 AM   #17
vpr80
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boursachi View Post
i know what you mean. i would explain it with an analogy to a Pagani car really.. the beating heart of a piece is from another manufacturer (AMG, Vaucher / Renaud & Papi), the design and concept is derived from an exquisite point of view rather than heritage, attention is paid to fine details, going overboard on everything (engraving titanium screws that go on a door of a pagani?), and making sure exclusivity is the main lure, not the numbers while ensuring that they do not give in to norms. i for one do not subscribe to writing off RM as a flashy brand, just as much as i wouldn't write off a pagani to be anything less than a bugatti with the vw funding. never got into that especially when keeping up with their updates and manufacturing and the amount of science that goes into their watches. as a car nut, i get what he is doing with the brand as well. from a marketing pov, they are doing what the swiss watchmakers are doing, endorsements and sponsorhips in sports, movies, and punching out "limited editions" with only painting the bezel a different colour and charging x-times extra.
of course the pricing is laughable, but imho even a rolex/omega/iwc, a tag for that matter, is "overpriced"
personally, the rm010 is just as beautiful a skeleton watch as an RO (oh no i didn't lol) for example or any other that offers it
That is actually a great comparison....too bad I can't get anywhere near either one....but if I do hit the lotto in the near future, I will enjoy my RM as I take the Zonda out for a spin :)
vpr80 is offline   Reply With Quote