Thread: 2012, V serial?
View Single Post
Old 14 November 2012, 03:38 PM   #16
A.Sharp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krlyuzh View Post
There is a slight difference between "new old stock" and new piece with "older" serial number.

new old stock is just that: it is a watch that has been sitting for months, but more frequently years, in case and is being "pushed out". These normally have some case wear already, odd dial, or simply unpopular model and AD's move them to make room for another piece. Thus the reason for common, deep discount.

Don't forget, the serial number (or the beginning of it), is not "officially" classified by Rolex as production year. First letter of serial numbers are used in pre-owned market to give an approximate year for the watch, if it doesn't have signed papers. This kind of became the "standard" and people don't even look at signed date, most of the time.

I have worked for an AD for many years and it was very common, especially for gold pieces, to come in BRAND NEW from Rolex with "older" serial numbers. For example, I clearly remember receiving a gold Yacht-Master for stock in 2004 with K serial number. So, it is entirely possible to have a brand new gold Daytona with V serial number.

Also, the way the seller interprets "BNIB" can be different from an actual AD. Don't forget, EliteTime is NOT an AD, but rather a gray market dealer. They are selling a watch, with unsigned papers and plastic attached, so, yes, you are theoretically getting a new, never worn watch and can fill out the warranty card to have the factory warranty (don't forget, Rolex warranty is non-transferable once filled out)

To answer you question about someone saying "The V serial can be random":

The random serial is just that, random. Therefore, it can actually start with a V, or any other letter. The way you would differentiate is by looking at the number of left over characters. An actual "V" serial from 2008 would be followed by 6 numbers, a random serial that happens to start with V would be followed by 7 characters (all numbers or combination of numbers and letters).

Hope this helps!

Thank you, that was very informative, and certainly clarifies a lot. Just to comment on the v serial point again, I think it's odd however, even if your serial number starts with a v, to refer to it as a v, if it is a random serial # or visa versa, if that makes any sense?

Thanks again, great information!

"I can't listen to that much Wagner, ya know? I start to get the urge to conquer Poland."
A.Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote