View Single Post
Old 22 November 2012, 02:19 PM   #55
QueueCumber
"TRF" Member

Watch: ST:TNG
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelingTheBlues View Post
I guess you are but hey, it is a forum on which one can voice his own opinion as long as it's done respectfully so I think it's great that we get people from both those camps!

However, I must respectfully disagree with you on two points: the 5970, 5070 and those pre in-house Patek's aren't expensive just because they are discontinued, they were also made in a very little quantity, hence their massive price raises as soon as they got discontinued versus, say, a Rolex reference that is being discontinued but is still marked on millions of watches all around the world.

As for the comparison with the prices of the actual models, I guess you are right when you say that the raise makes the model A the same price as his B cousin with an in-house movement. Still, the fact remains that the price of that very model doubled and that you are comparing a model that is, again, very rare to a model that is expensive because, indeed, of its in-house movement but also, and let's face it, because of price increases that are, sometimes (and without wanting to offend anybody), questionable to say the least.
Well, your first disagreement isn't a disagreement, because I mentioned rarity in my post.

It doesn't seem uncommon for the more complicated older watches to jump up in price significantly as the newer complicated watches jump up in price, at least with Patek. Some more so than others for sure. Rarety may play some part in that sometimes, as well as discontinuation panic, but considering this particular model is not an in-house movement it is still foolish to me. The demand being created by the rarity of a piece that is not in-house is specious IMO. There are rare Patek watches that are completely representative of Patek. I can appreciate the accelerated values of those watches.
QueueCumber is offline   Reply With Quote