View Single Post
Old 1 December 2012, 12:54 PM   #12
Tim Wells
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT Master
If it won't be seen as a hijack of this thread I could post some pictures of a tool I made to do this job.

I just removed the engraving on a datejust back that would not lend itself to the method Larry used on the watch in this thread because the back sits too far in and the lugs would get sanded.

I have it on my bench ready for overhaul so I made a holder for the back and turned the engraving off on my lathe then sanded it and re-established the grain with a wheel designed for that purpose, for Rolex watches.

I was sweating bullets trying to take a little off at a time just enough to remove the engraving. Looking at it with doctors surgical loupes makes it look like you're taking off a lot more material than you really are.

I measured it before and after and I took off a mere .004" and it turned out perfect. Although the job is done, I can show how I did it and the little fixture as it may be helpful to someone else someday. It could also be used as a holder for the back and used in the same sandpaper manner as Larry did his caseback. So if it will be ok, I'll post some pics tomorrow.
Tim Wells is offline   Reply With Quote