View Single Post
Old 12 December 2007, 01:54 AM   #34
haakon59
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawMan View Post
Panerai is a nice watch but ,rolex is a better movement and higher quality all around.
Rolex is a very good quality watch overall, but I am not sure that the movement in the Rolex is "better" and "higher quality all around" than the Panerai. I think the base movement in many Panerai models still is ETA, but I believe they are changing and creating their own movements and already have at least one model featuring their own. Still, I am not sure a sweeping claim of Rolex superiority is warranted. ETA movements are tested, solid, and reliable. Many manufacturers have been using them as a base until Swatch announced their decision to no longer sell movements outside their group. So although there is again a trend toward in-house movements, this is not because ETA movements are in any way inferior, but because legally they will soon be unavailable. The cost of developing a new movement these days is often around $1,000,000.00, which is not a trivial amount of money. Because of this and because a great many mechanical watch manufacturers shut their doors during the quartz revolution,when they opened their shops again, they often chose not to pay the cost of reviving their own in-house movement production because ETA movements were proven and available for purchase. Now that Swatch has changed their policy on this, manufacturers are again working to recreate or create their own in-house designed movements.
haakon59 is offline   Reply With Quote