View Single Post
Old 26 February 2013, 11:52 AM   #22
kxux
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II
Quote:
Originally Posted by descartes View Post
You really need to see the AP 15300/400 in person, and try it on. Pictures do not do it justice. The fit, finish and overall quality of the watch is amazing. I was never a big Royal Oak fan until I tried one on and then I had to have it. There is not a watch that is as comfortable with with that degree of presence, IMO.

Personally, I feel that the RO has a more robust feel than the 5711, though they are both very similar. The RO, while pricey, is indeed more bang for buck than the PP.

Since I bought the AP 15300 I've had trouble taking it off. It is so verstile. Dressy or casual. I find myself opting for it more than either PP 5110 or the Rolex sport watches I have.

The only issue I see with the RO 15300/400-- and this applies to the 5711 and 5167-- is that they are all scratch magnets. All three watches are so finely polished (with brushed and mirrored surfaces) that you will pick up scratches if you wear it, even for light duty. If you are thinking of wearing it as I true sport watch I could caution against that and keep a Rolex in the collection for that purpose.
I will try to get my hands on all the pieces before making decision. I like that they wear smaller. I like the enthusiasm of the AP fans here. The brand has good following. I'm really undecided at this point and the passionate responses keep me considering both stables.

You say that these watches are scratch magnets - that worries me - coming from a guy that had his GMT PCL brushed after 6 months. I just could not look at the hairline scratches. I guess I may be better off with the rubber bracelet on the 5167 ;-).

I will keep the GMT as that is my b-day present from my wife. Though she told me if I need to sell it to fund another piece she is ok with it - very practical girl.
kxux is offline   Reply With Quote