View Single Post
Old 17 June 2013, 03:47 AM   #118
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roggie Rog View Post
Hello. I'm new to the world of Rolex! What is a good reference for watch accuracy? I referred to my MacBook's automatic date & time which pings a server and supposedly accounts for internet traffic. That said, my GMTII 16710 was off by over a minute. Note that I wound it, set it down horizontally, and didn't wear it yesterday.

Also, as far as manually winding it and the "40" rotations of the crown, should the crown come to a stop at the end of those windings, or does it just not do anything to the movement after its fully wound? I carefully wound many times while feeling for any resistance. and eventually stopped when I felt that I wound enough.

Thanks.
You cannot over wind there is in the mainspring barrel a mechanism that when the mainspring is fully wound it just slips in the spring barrel .Now when manually winding you might feel slight resistance when fully wound 40 full crown turns clockwise but the winding crown will keep turning.But the mechanism in the spring barrel stops the mainspring from being over wound.Now while on your wrist if you are moving the auto winding pendulum is swinging constantly by gravity winding the mainspring.But just like being manually wound once the mainspring is fully wound it just slips in the barrel.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder