Thread: Second Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 8 January 2006, 06:17 AM   #8
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by writer
I am a maniac, I think. I am having second thoughts about purchasing my Explorer 1. My Sub 14060M has been my only watch for 3.5 years. I was planning to put my Sub in my safebox today and break in the Explorer 1, but I just couldn't do it. It's obvious that I am used to my Sub. However, I really do like the Explorer 1 and this is the second time I have owned this model. But it just doesn't have the same presence on my wrist as the 14060M; it's not only about looks, it's about feel too. I knew the size and how it felt on my wrist, but I still purchased it. Maybe it was an impulse buy.

It's not just this though. I guess I can't dedicate time to two high-priced watches. It's a special feeling knowing that my Sub is growing up with me. It's part of me and has been through a lot with me. I would feel strange setting it aside for another watch, even if it's only 10% of the time. (Why spend $3,000+ on a watch and wear it 10-20% of the time? I can't do that.) My Sub is and always will be my primary watch. Secondary watches are watches I use when my Sub can't go somewhere. For example, if I go to the beach, I will wear a cheap Casio.

Now I have a brand new Explorer 1 and don't know what to do with it. Again, it may have been an impulse buy. I got caught up in the excitement of buying another Rolex. It is too nice to be a part time watch and will never be my main watch. Yet, I bought it because I really like it.

The horror, the horror.

Has anyone here ever felt this way or currently feel this way?
Writer, don't feel bad. You suffer from the same problem as the rest of us who own more than one high end watch. One of them may get far and away the most wrist time and the other(s) just sit(s) in the box or on the winder for months.

But you've got a reason to keep the Exp. You said you have secondary watches to wear places where you don't want the Sub to go. Why not wear the EXP then. It's tough enough to take any pounding you could give it (not that the Sub isn't as tough). It will also be a change of pace for you when you change your environment temporarily.

So unless you need to get rid of the EXP for financial reasons, just keep it around as a secondary watch. You got it because you liked it for a reason. Don't give it up just because it hasn't overtaken the Sub in your heart.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote