View Single Post
Old 6 July 2013, 12:54 PM   #7
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by bboris View Post
Thanks for all the input. I asked to hold it for me until tomorrow - hopefully, they did. Two more questions:

- should I have the bezel insert cleaned or rather leave it not to cause damage?
- is it normal for watches from this era (I assume approx. 1965 based upon the serial number) to these thick but rather inaccurate lumeplots?

Thanks,

Boris
The dial looks fine for circa 1965. Have the jeweler/watchmaker clean the bezel if it bothers you, or it can easily be removed yourself and cleaned. There have been a few threads here in the past on removing bezels. Try the search function here on TRF or google "removing a Rolex GMT bezel" or "changing a Rolex bezel insert." You might try this thread for changing an insert found in the Reference Library and placed there by moderator Tools. The first post in the thread has a link to a bezel insert photo tutorial done by TRF member Jocke. Although you are not changing your insert, the process to remove the bezel is detailed in this post by Jocke.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=49732

Below are some before and after pics of one that I cleaned up a while back - it was turning very easy either. Notice how dirty the back of the bezel/insert is along with the dirt and grime around the crystal where the insert fits next to the case.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg small3.jpg (42.1 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg small23.jpg (45.3 KB, 426 views)
File Type: jpg small10.jpg (34.8 KB, 425 views)
File Type: jpg small24.jpg (83.9 KB, 425 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote