View Single Post
Old 24 November 2013, 06:57 AM   #20
1Daytona
"TRF" Member

Watch: Deep Sea Blue
The 121.5 mhz analog frequency is still used worldwide for local search and rescue. That is why the new Emergency 2 will retain this 121.5 transmitter, in addition to a 406mhz digital satellite frequency under the Cospass-Sarat system. Breitling took 5 years to design the new Emergency 2 and it is quite an accomplishment to squeeze all this technology into a wristwatch.

Beware the new Emergency 2 is 51mm and is a big watch but it is light since the case and bracelet are all titanium. Only negative thing about the watch is the price-$15,000! Watch is COSC certified.

I have a Breitling Emergency Mission that I purchased in 2005 and it is an awesome piece. Owners of these watches need to be prepared to maintain them. Every 2-3 years, you need to send the watch back to Breitling USA in Wilton, Connecticut for maintenance and battery changes. Only Breitling is authorized to service these unique watches. I just got mine back from service and it cost $405 and another $128 I spent at UPS store for insured overnight shipping when I sent it out. I just figure this comes with the territory of owning such a watch, but many watch owners don't want to be bothered with this. Pretty sure maintenance on the new one will be more since it has 2 transmitters.

By the way, Emergency 2 only on sale in Europe right now. Won't be in US stores for several months because Breitling has to jump through some hurdles with the US govt., FAA, etc. to be able to sell them here. When I bought my Emergency Mission, I had to sign a form that authorized Breitling to share my name, address, etc. to the US government and FAA in case I activated the signal and caused rescue resources to come look for me. If you activate signal and it is not a real emergency, you are responsible for the cost of all rescue efforts! Not only that, but pulling the antennaes out requires Breitling to rehab the watch back to the original condition. If it is a true emergency, no problem. But if it is not and you pulled it out by accident or you wanted to see what happens, Breitling will charge you the cost of the watch to return it to the original condition. This is why when people ask me to see the watch, I tell them not to touch or pull the antennae cap!
1Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote