View Single Post
Old 11 December 2013, 06:11 AM   #3
wantonebad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126600, 116500LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexjim View Post
Been thinking about a vintage Seamaster Deville for awhile. I found this one on Ebay. Reputable seller, fully serviced, new band, crown, etc.

Looking for some guidance from the masters.

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Vintage...00622357127%26
So this is a case of a watch that typically sells anywhere from $350 to $800 that has been serviced and cleaned up, possibly some replacement or aftermarket pieces, and given a decent band and then listed at a rather high premium. I would inquire about the hands and the dial, they could be authentic but they look pristine and that worries me. It's a mater of what is important to you. I like my vintage pieces with some patina, this one doesn't seem to show it's age and that might be a plus for you, it wouldn't be for me.

I would prefer to buy one with a little more visible age to it and then have it serviced by an independent watch maker like Rikki for a reasonable fee and get similar results for under a grand.

JMHO. If you don't mind paying a premium for a vintage piece then go right ahead but you won't get the money back on resale. As long as you know that going in then have it.
wantonebad is offline   Reply With Quote