View Single Post
Old 28 December 2013, 02:43 AM   #3
007Sub
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5514
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Regarding your crown and crown tube question,just think of the millions of Rolex manual wind plus others with screw down crowns.Now they got wound up daily for decades without any problems that will answer your question.Even a few Alpha $60 manual wind watches I bought for my Grandsons they have screw down crowns and have been wound up almost daily for over 5 years without problems.And things like crowns and crown tubes are mostly replaced at service time anyway on most all Rolex watches as they are just serviceable parts..So its up to you a winder is just purely a convenience nothing more, both Wolf and Obita are good machines.But without the finest winder is free and called wrists myself just cannot see any point in running any movement 24/7 if its not needed to tell time on wrist just let them stop.

I see your point re-crown but I what about constantly adding and removing tension on the mainspring... Wouldn't that wear that part out much quicker? I'm sure you have experienced how a fully wound regularly worn watch runs more accurately than an underwound watch...

I'm not sure I see what all the wear talk is about regarding a watch working 24/7... the subtle turn of a quality winder surely can't be more jarring for the movement and rotor than a quick hand motion while wearing the watch.

Anyway, if I don't need to spend the money than I wont... i just feel like my constant time resetting and hand winding is probably more damaging than having a quality winder...

@true_patina
@true.dome
007Sub is offline   Reply With Quote