View Single Post
Old 10 April 2014, 10:14 PM   #1
tom_hanx
"TRF" Member

Finding my way around: Single RED, Double RED, Black 1675 and Orange Hand 1655

Not sure how to call the thread, how to phrase it or where to start...

My 40th came and went and I didn't celebrate it with a birth year watch, as I intended before my son was born... Truth be told, I was so sleep and time deprived that deciding between vintage AP, Rolex or their modern ancestors really didn't make it on the radar. Then there were the bystander distractions of Tudor MN-Subs and other vintage divers who have the looks but pop up less often... Recently I feel better and catching up on my sleep, so naturally the old reflexes return and I'm again eyeing watches I lust(ed)...

This time I am facing a different dilemma though - which one to focus on and which one to chase. Geneva, despite being the cradle and all, is really poor on dealers the likes of HQ Milton. Truth is - we have none. The few that exist are so spoiled by their Russian, Arab and Chinese customers, they have nothing for the mere mortal on his decade anniversary 15k budget... It's either the brand-new full retail or uber-mega rare 100+k exotics. By appointment only, naturally.

Without straying too far from topic, if that can indeed be called a topic, I'm posting here to find my way around the "short list". As much as I love MilSub 5517s, I will never scrape this kind of cash to buy one, so I'm trying to stay within the 15k range and, if possible around the early 1970s. Searching the fora told me there are the 1675 GMTs, the orange hand 1655s and Single/Double RED 1680s to be had in various conditions. What I mean is, I can probably find decent full set 1675 and good looking 1655s, even a single RED with B&P, and maybe (just maybe) a double red with nothing...

To keep it on the objective side, what I'm looking for is
- 40mm
- no franken
- provenance is a plus
- full set is coveted

On the subjective side, I'm kinda unclear or better said, unable to make a decision on the 1680's thickness for example. Side shots of the REDs show a thicker crystal - is that something one can wear comfortable under a cuff? See, I'm a desk diver and like my shirts to slide comfortably over my watches. Sold quite a few for being "fat". Rule of thumb would be 12mm or less in thickness but then - no real life opportunity to try and decide.

On the other hand, there is the history aspect of things - rarity, significance, movement durability, etc. Ranking the "short list" of mentioned models has been impossible for me as a vintage Rolex novice. Coke or all-black bezel 1675 GMT is cool, but is the 1655 Orange hand better? In what way? Why? Newbie stuff...

Last attempt to formulate a question: if you were in my shoes, considering a vintage Rolex from the 1970-1975 period and had ~$15k to spend, what would you buy? Alternatives in my head are new AP 15202 (latest blue date disk), AP 15400, Blue/Black (Batman, I think) GMT 116710BLNR and a few others but irrelevant to this discussion.

Thank you for reading and sharing your thoughts
tom_hanx is offline   Reply With Quote