View Single Post
Old 13 April 2014, 06:59 AM   #74
Takemusu
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridor View Post
If Rolex would not service it because the crystal was not one that came with the watch from the Rolex factory, then the entire watch was not authentic. This is not rocket science. Also, I find it somewhat disturbing that the issue of the seller trying to make a profit of $700 on the buyback offer is not being discussed more. I think that is worse than not replacing the crystal. Attempting to profit that way in a situation where the watch you sold was misrepresented, whether intentionally or not, is not a good faith effort to remedy the problem.
+1

For those that question of a seller "How do you know if my watch for sale is 100% authentic", the answer is to confirm it with Rolex. This is the game you are in after all. The car analogy only works if you are dealing with STOCK restorations of, say, classic cars. Here EVERY part must be authentic or the value plummets. There are very stringent rules that apply. Same with other collectables. That is the name of the game. Take a rare toy out of the box, and the value tanks. Genuine Rolex watches sold as such are just like that. I want to know if I buy used that I can take it to Rolex for a service and not find non-OEM parts there. For all that crow about the quality in the nuances of the Rolex movement, case, etc. when defending the pricing of Rolex, this is where the rubber hits the road. Genuine should matter, and be expected. Period. Sellers should appreciate this and represent their products truthfully. If they want to risk non-authentication, then roll the dice and be prepared for a hassle of anything is discovered down the road.