View Single Post
Old 18 April 2014, 10:59 AM   #29
Dickie Watty
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16600
Agreed. The 39mm Explorer is quite possibly the perfect watch for me. It has everything I need and nothing I don't. If it had a date it would be more convienent but it would break up the beauty of the dial. If it were bigger it would not be as comfortable and attract too much attention. If it had polished center links I would hate it and want to have them brushed. If it didn't have a flip lock I would want one.
This is my 4th Rolex and I think I have finally found "the one."
A Sub? Too common, too recognizable, more expensive, too bulky for daily wear, plus I am not a diver, do I really need an expensive dive watch? No. My CWC Royal Navy or my G shock works fine when I venture in water for a swim, the Explorer I would too for that matter. I have owned a Submariner 2 liner and it is an exquisite watch, just not the perfect watch for me.
The GMT? beautiful, I love the black and blue model but it is big, bulky and wow! expensive! I had an a Explorer II for a while and used the 2nd time zone once, I travel a lot but usually in the same time zone. there is just no need for it unless you travel all the time all around the world, even then I would probably just set my EXP I to local time as I needed to.
The Datejust II? Beautiful watch, I had one and loved it. It commands respect and somehow still flys under the radar. The date function is very nice to have, I had the silver dial and it is a beauty of a watch. Reasons I got rid of it? Too big for me, at 41mm it is just seems too big for a watch with no diving/GMT bezel or chronograph. The lume was not particularly good, the baton hands just don't do it for me, I like the Rolex sword and Mercedes hand combo. The bracelet was extremely comfortable but the polished center links grew tiresome for me, too flashy, too scratch prone, too fashion and not enough function, no flip lock either(no need for it I guess but it bothered me)
I prefer military style tool watches, like some of the vintage Rolex models were. The Explorer is perfect in many ways for me. 39mm=perfect size! flat profile, strong enough lume, tool style with just a hint of flash, Great movement, matte dial, Great bracelet, pedigree, I have finally come home.
Dickie Watty is offline   Reply With Quote