View Single Post
Old 13 August 2014, 11:15 AM   #28
bobridley
TechXpert & 2024 Pledge Member

Not this time...

Guys, it’s not my habit to touch on what experiences we have with our clientele.

In the context of this thread, I understand that the owner of a treasured watch has feelings about that watch, and the more so if they believe damage has been done to it. And likewise, I too have feelings about my profession – and my own integrity –more so when I feel there’s been, shall I say, some mud-slinging. Therefore, I’ll touch on the two issues briefly.

As provided below, you can see that there are two impression marks at the outer edge of this 1016 case back which are 180 degrees from each other. The positioning of these two marks give me the opinion of being made by an improper tool, likely a case back opener with two jaws, as opposed to the proper knurled ring opener. The knurled tool could in no way cause impression marks like the one shown on this case back, even were the tool improperly used!

While it’s known that there are different tools made available to remove a case back, it’s also known that there’s only one proper tool to be used on this case back. In my shop – and for that matter, any CW21 /Rolex parts account shop – no watchmaker would even consider using another tool for opening a Rolex watch. I most often given clients the benefit of the doubt, but in this instance there’s just not a plausible set of circumstances. It’s not a matter of “it likely didn’t” happen, it’s one of those rarer “it couldn’t possibly have” scenarios. So, after careful review and thorough consideration, I gave an opinion that this damage did not occur while the watch was in my care.

As an aside, I found it interesting that the case back “fell off” at the same time the markings were found on the case back. Even so, I offered to seal and re-test the watch at no charge.

As to communication, well, all the above and more was conveyed during the process – In the month of July, start to finish, I recorded over 20 to & from emails; emails sent in order to care & explain . As far as my office knew, this issue was settled pending shipment.

As they say, th-th-th-th-that’s all folks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Impact markings.jpg (69.9 KB, 1452 views)
File Type: jpg Tool for case back.jpg (35.6 KB, 1444 views)
bobridley is offline   Reply With Quote