View Single Post
Old 4 September 2014, 04:05 AM   #45
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
Not so sure about that, my watchmaker said it was fine with my Rolex, but a risk with my 7750 based Seamaster.

Vanessa from TRF made a post saying that it isn't an issue: http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...highlight=date

and to be honest, I was under the impression only slow date change watches had a problem in this area, rather than Rolex's which flick to the next date instantly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
No........ Your watchmaker is wrong... You do NOT need to worry about when you change the date on your Rolex...

It does NOT engage the date disk gears as on ETA and some other based movements. If you read an Omega manual, it specifically warns against this.. You won't find that warning in a Rolex manual.

Rolex uses a cam and lever for the date change.. Nothing is engaged, but when the main wheel reaches midnight a cam rolls into a slot releasing a spring loaded lever that slaps the date over one day.. thus, no gears to break..
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexguyinSF View Post
I took one of my ceramic Rolex models two years ago to RSC at Bernecke's (authorized Rolex service facility) here in San Francisco. This watch was having a problem with the date switching over; it would switch half way over at midnight, and not completely all the way until 4-5 am. It was consistent, and repeatable. I spoke to Giovanni there, many here know him, as he's worked there for a long time, and is now the proprieter. When the work was completed, he said in the future when the date is incorrect (at the end of the month), wait until the next morning to change it. I told him I had heard something about not changing it at certain hours (10-2) and he said "it's best" to wait until the next day, as changing it at that time was not ideal.

One of the reasons I posted this was as I read the other posts, people seem to pass on information, that as far as I can tell (or at least RSC tells me) is just not correct. People repeat things here like gospel, but few, if any can back it up with any data or facts whatsoever. Please reply if you can tell me where, when, and how exactly you know this to be true / false, other than "I heard it at an AD" Otherwise it's nothing more that another WIS'ers opinion.

Thank you.
The first two posts cover it pretty well, I think...