View Single Post
Old 4 September 2014, 11:23 AM   #25
Bling72
"TRF" Member

No this is where I completely disagree.

There is absolutely ZERO merit in getting a Mont Blanc Ball Point pen as a first pen, over
a Fountain Pen.

The bread and butter part of any Ball point pen is the refill part, which pretty much works
similarly in a $500 pen or a 50c pen. You're basically paying 99% of the pen for the shell,
or resin. It is like pouring perfume on a pig !!!

Even if you buy a Rollerball or Ballpoint first, I do agree you will find more 'practical' use
at work, but 9999/10000 times (if you get a FP later), you will get far more enjoyment
from using the FP.

It's not always buying something for work-related purposes. You said it yourself, you
work very hard and long hours, but you do also invest time with/to yourself. Why not
indulge, and spoil yourself with something you can really enjoy.

It is like going to a restaurant and being offered a glass of any wine or drink at no
cost to you, and you still opt to take a glass of tap water.

There are several sites such as fountain pen network, there is no ball point network or
rollerball network, all for a pretty good reason. Majority of pen enthusiasts, will discuss
how much they enjoy using their Fountain pens, more than the other kinds.

I made the mistake of getting a Mechanical Pencil and a Rollerball. I got the Fountain
Pen third. If I knew I was going to get this much more enjoyment from the FP, and if
I got the FP first, I would of just got myself two more fountain pens.

Personally myself, I would never get another pen again unless it was a Fountain Pen.

Like I said, when you go to the boutique, try out all the types that you can, with the
fountain pens, try out every nib possible. I.e. An Extra Fine, Fine, Medium, Broad,
Oblique, Oblique Broad (if they have it), Double Broad... at least one of those types
you will prefer. Ask as many questions as you can regarding ALL pens, they get paid
to know their products back to front, make them earn their cushy job.

I would seriously doubt anyone working in a store will talk you out of buying a Fountain
Pen and every user on this network will agree on that. It is not because it is most
expensive option, but the greatest enjoyment you will ever get out of a pen.
Mont Blanc Starwalker Red Gold Fineliner & Mech Pencil
Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Red Gold 90th Anniv FPen
Bling72 is offline   Reply With Quote